The true power of the Business Activity Management add-on module is that it is 100% configurable to fit the way that you do business. Perhaps the most beneficial category that can be configured is the Business Activity Type. The Type is usually configured as the major category with the Code, Status, Priority and Resolution categories remaining to help define the Business Activity.
Configuring Business Activity Types:
- Select File > Configuration Management to open the Configuration Manager.
- Open the Business Activities folder > Business Activity Type.
Creating a new Business Activity Type:
These columns define the Type drop-down list in the Business Activity window and contain options to choose:
- Type (code)
- Description (short description)
- Can edit due date
- Click the Edit button, located on the toolbar of the Configuration Manager.
- In the data grid, click in the blank line with an asterisk next to it.
- In the Type column, enter a code for the type, which may be a maximum of three characters.
This code will used to categorize specific types and group them together in the system.
Usually the first letters of what the type is, are set for this. For example, ‘R’ is generally used for RMA.
- In the Description column, enter a full description of the type.
For example, if your creating a RMA type, then generally ‘RMA’ would be entered for the description.
- Check the Can edit due date box, if you want the due date (in the Business Activity window), that is assigned by the system to be editable by the user.
- Check the Active box to make the type available in the Business Activity window under the Type field.
Next, you must continue to the next data grid to further define the types you have setup.
Configuring the Business Activity Types:
This data grid has five tabs that contain various configurable fields:
- Codes (Issue)
- Scheduling Class
- Select the field that you want to configure (that will only be assigned to that type).
- A black arrow tip to the left of the row indicates the selected row.
- Go to the lower data grid and go through each tab to see what codes you want to set for the specific Business Activity Type.
Business Activity Type Descriptions
Status codes set the overall status of the Business Activity Type, such as Closed, Call Back, Open, Pending, etc. These are all configurable.
This tab has a Closed checkbox and when checked the specific status will close a Business Activity. For example, if you checked this box for the Completed status code, when Completed is selected under the Status field in the Business Activity window that particular Business Activity number will essentially have its “clock stopped” and will no longer display when searching for Business Activities unless you filter for closed activities. Any status can be configured to close the activity.
Priority codes allow tasks to be arranged in terms of priority, such as Urgent, Normal, At our convenience, etc. These are all configurable.
This tab has an Hours Till Due column that changes the due date in the Business Activities window. For example, you can set Urgent to 2, which will set the due date to two hours from when you entered the Business Activity.
Issue codes help you to further provide categorization for your Business Activities, such as Hot Prospect, Needs Information, Requested Quote, etc. Again, these are all configurable.
Resolution codes are designed to show the current state of resolution for the particular task, such as Indecisive, Satisfactory, Dissatisfactory, etc. These are generally set for Customer Service business activity types. Again, these are all configurable.
Scheduling Class Tab
Scheduling Class Codes are used with the Business Activity Scheduling module (an add-on).
- Each code on all five tabs will have an Included, Default and Active checkbox, check these boxes as necessary to define your Business Activity Types.
Below are definitions of the checkboxes common to each tab:
Check this box for a specific code, if you want that code to be associated with the Business Activity Type you have selected in the upper data grid.
Check this box for a specific code, if you want that code to be the default when the particular Business Activity Type is selected in the Business Activity window.
There can be only one default set per type.
Check this box for the specific codes you want to be active in the Business Activity window.
- To add a code to any tab, click the Edit button, if it has not already been clicked.
Enter the new code in the blank line with an asterisk next to it.
- When you are finished configuring, click the Save button.