Business Activity Scheduling is an add-on module that makes it easy to organize daily tasks through its scheduling board resemblance and actions, such as re-assigning tasks and displaying user specific tasks.
The following procedures, will walk you through configuring Business Activity Types to utilize the Business Activity window correctly, setting up a business activity task and finally using the actual Service Scheduling feature.
First, configure the Business Activity Type, Scheduling Classes:
- Select File > Configuration Management, to open the Configuration Manager window.
- Select Business Activities >Activity Type.
- You can create types specific to service scheduling in the data grid near the top.
If you want to be able to edit the due date in the Business Activity window, instead of just using the Priority field to set the due date, click Can Edit Due Date checkbox.
- Also, from the bottom tabs select, Scheduling Classes to configure business activity types specific to scheduling.
- For more details on this process, refer to: ‘How do I setup and maintain Business Activity Types?‘
Then, enter a Business Activity for the task to be scheduled:
- Select Activities > Business Activity, to open the Business Activity window and click the Add new issue button to create a new activity.
You can also create a new business activity from the Service Scheduling window, by opening the window from Activities > Business Activity Scheduling and clicking the New Business Activity button in its toolbar.
- Select a type from the Type field, which if Business Activity Types were configured in the Configuration Manager will populate other header fields (i.e. Code, Status and Priority), depending on how you configured the types.
- Make sure you assign the activity to a user in the Assigned to field or select Unassigned in this field, so that the task will display in the Service Scheduling module under a specific user or unassigned.
- Enter information into the necessary fields.The following fields will display in the Service Scheduling module for each task, if you enter them in the Business Activity window:
Automatically entered by the system when a new activity is created.
Displays based on the text you entered in the Description textbox.
Displays based on the Priority field or a manually entered date (only if checked the Can Edit Due Date checkbox in the Configuration Manager and you enter it in the Due field)
Estimated time in hours
The estimated time it will take to complete the task, which displays based on that corresponding field.
Contact Phone and Name
Displays if you add a Related Item that contains a contact (i.e. a customer).
Displays as Current Status, which is based on the Status field.
This date overrides the due date, when due dates are not set to editable (in configuration).
- Click the Add button near the bottom in the Related Items section and select from the menu.
If you do not add a related item your task will not display in Service Scheduling.
- Click the Save button to save the task and allow it to display in Service Scheduling.
Viewing and using tasks in the Service Scheduling module:
Various actions can be performed in this module, from just viewing your tasks or other user’s tasks to re-assigning tasks.
- If the Service Scheduling module is not already open, select Activities > Business Activity Scheduling to open it.
- Use the various drop-down menus near the top of the window to change data that is displayed in the main window, by filtering through several key elements of data, as follows (the following drop-down menus are labeled as what they are defaulted at):
(All scheduling classes)
Also contains the Scheduling Classes configured in the Configuration Manager > Business Type. Each type set in configuration can be set to include specific scheduling classes. Selecting a specific scheduling class will only display the activities specific to the class selected.
Also has the option Due on. Displays tasks due by or on (depending on which option you choose) the date you select in the neighboring drop-down (defined below). These dates were set in the Due field of the activity.
By default this field displays the current date, but you can choose any date.
Automatically refreshes information on your screen.
Only incomplete tasks
Also contains Only completed tasks and Only overdue tasks. Based on which option you choose it will either display tasks marked as complete (closed) or incomplete (any status other than closed) in the Status field of Business Activities. Overdue tasks are based on the due date.
The order, in which you want to arrange each task.
- Each user has their own column for tasks and their is an unassigned column on the left.
To move tasks from one user to another, click on the specific task box and drag and drop it into another user’s column. The system will automatically re-assign it to the user you moved it to.
- If you want, double-click the task to view or edit the specific business activity.
If you edit it, then click the Refresh button when you return to scheduling.
- You also have the option of sending an email message about a task or displaying a Google map with directions to the contact’s address for the specific activity. Select the specific task and the Send Message and View Map buttons will become active, so you can perform those actions.
- Task banner can either be blue, yellow or red (for the meanings of the colors refer to: Business Activity Scheduling).