In business operations, product returns are inevitable and Acctivate has the tools to make the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) process seamless with the combined power of the Business Activity Management and Service Billing add-on modules.
When used together these features increase productivity by minimizing the steps involved in the RMA and Credit Memo processes. Therefore accommodating your customers with a high level of customer service by having an organized record of the return and providing them with a credit or return in a timely manner.
Initially, a RMA is entered using Business Activities in Acctivate, after a customer contacts the CSR about the return. Entering a RMA initiates the Credit Memo process, which allows the product to be returned to stock if not damaged and then a credit or refund can be given to the customer.
The RMA Process
1. Make a new Business Activity from the Customer, Product Information or Sales Order windows. From the Product Information and Sales Order windows click the New Business Activity button; and from the Customer Information window click the Create new transaction button and select Business Activity from the drop down menu.
2. Acctivate will automatically assign an Activity ID number to the Business Activity.
Set the activity to the type, RMA (which must be setup in the Configuration prior).
Enter all other necessary information into the fields and tabs.
3. Provide the customer with the auto-generated Activity ID, which is the RMA number that the customer needs to write on the returned shipment or shipping document.
Each return has an individual RMA number making it easy to keep track of returns in Acctivate.
4. After the returned shipment is received the RMA record can be easily opened by entering the RMA number on the shipment into the Business Activity window in the Activity ID field.
5. Now in order to return the product to inventory, go to the Material tab of the RMA, click the Material button and enter the product that is being returned as a negative quantity. (The Service Billing module is required for this step.)
If the product is not damaged it can be returned back into stock. This begins the Credit Memo Process. Keep the RMA open.
It just takes one click to create a credit memo from a RMA using the Business Activity Management and Service Billing modules.
The Credit Memo Process
A credit memo can easily be created from the Business Activity RMA with one click, which will also link the credit memo from the activity to find easily at a later time.
1. In the RMA, click the Create new transaction button and select Create Credit Memo from the drop down menu (a customer must be a related item on the Business Activity).
The Service Billing module is also required for this step.
The Credit Memo window will then open with all the Header tab information entered from the Business Activity along with some header and footer information.
2 .Review the credit memo, save it and then create the credit invoice. It can then also be printed or emailed to the customer.
When the process is complete, the product is returned to inventory and a credit or a refund can be given to the customer using the preferred method of your business or customer.
The Business Activity RMA and Credit Memo are also now linked to each other, making it easy to refer back to either one. The Credit Memo will be in the Related Items field of the RMA and the RMA will be on the Activities tab of the Credit Memo, just double-click them and they will open.
For more information on Business Activity Management and Service Billing, call an Acctivate representative at (817) 877-1311, then press 2.