The process for using Packaging Manager has three main sections of steps.
- Prepare Shipments
- Package Shipments
- Complete Shipments
After you have set up the proper options in Configuration Manager related to Packaging Manager (see this article), you can now start to process shipments.
Section 1: Prepare Shipments
- Go to Packaging > Prepare Shipments.
- On the Qualifications section, you can choose several filters to specify the exact orders you want to ship.
- Once you have selected the filters you want to use, choose Next.
- The list of Sales orders that meet your criteria will show in this list.
- You can change the order of the list to better view it as well as view the orders if you are in need of more details.
- Then you can choose if you want to go ahead and create the shipments for the orders by selecting the check box on the left of the grid.
- Any orders not selected will not have shipments prepared for them.
- Choose Next.
- In the Review section is where you will see how the orders have been grouped. If you have two orders going to the exact same Ship to Location selected, Acctivate will automatically combine these orders into one shipment.
- Once you have reviewed the shipments, select Prepare Shipments.
- We are now done with this window and you may exit it.
Section 2: Package Shipments
- Start by opening the Shipment Packaging window. Go to Packaging > Package Shipments.
- Search for the newly created shipments by selecting the lookup.
- If you are not using the Automatic packaging option in the EDI section of Configuration manager, then your shipments will come up with the status of ‘Created’. If you are using the Automatic packaging option, your shipment will show as ‘Packaged’.
- On the Carton tab of the shipment, you will see the Items on the order that need to be packed. There are several ways to pack a shipment into multiple cartons. Each carton will typically have their own Tracking ID.
- Select the Add button at the bottom of the window to add the Carton manually. Then drag and drop the products you would like in that carton. Repeat until all items are placed into a carton.
- Scan or enter the ProductID into the Product field at the bottom of the window and select to Pack it. This will create a carton and then pack products into it until you manually add another carton.
- Select Package Shipment at the top of the window. See this article on what the specific options mean.
- The Inner/Outer Packs of each carton are required. These values are more for reference and can be printed on your shipping label if required by your EDI trading partner or customer. The Outer Pack Quantity is the number of units in each case (if your shipping carton includes more than one case). The Inner Pack Quantity is the number of consumable units in each stocking unit. For example: I am shipping 10 cases of candy bars in one shipping carton. Each individual package contains two candy bars. The Outer Pack would be 10 and the Inner Pack would be 2.
- If the Carrier and Carrier Service didn’t carry over from the Sales Order to the Shipment, those will need to be added before you can complete the shipment.
Section 3: Complete the Shipment
- If you are using a Shipping Workstation integration with UPS, FedEx, or another shipping software, then you would bring the shipment into the shipping application at this time. Then you would create the shipping label and the application would send back the tracking information to Acctivate.
- If you are not using a Shipping workstation integration, you will add the proper tracking information for each carton on the Cartons tab of the shipment. You can also add the BOL and other pertinent information.
- After all information is added, change the status of the Shipment to “Shipped” to complete the shipment.