In Acctivate, each product is required to have a Product Class. The Product Class is typically the main way you will categorize your products and should not be confused with QuickBooks Class Tracking. The Acctivate Product Class is available as a drop down filter on the product search window and most of the standard reports filter on Product Class. Product Class is most commonly linked to your Income (Sales) and Cost of Goods Sold accounts.
Before a Product Class can be utilized on the product window or imports, you must first add them to the Product Class list in Configuration Management. This can be done individually or with a Product Class Import.
To manage your Product Class in Configuration Manager:
- File > Configuration Management
- Expand the Inventory folder
- Select Product Class
- Click the Edit Button to modify an existing Product Class or add a new one
- If adding a new one, enter the Product Class ID (8 characters), Description, and Sales/COGS in the new line at the bottom with an *. The addition of Sales/COGS GL accounts only applies to customers utilizing this category for tracking said accounts.
- Place check mark in the Active box
Now you will be able to utilize the new Product Class(es) on the Product window or import.
In order to Delete a Product Class, make sure it’s not assigned to any products prior to going into Configuration Management. To find the products and update them, use the Product Look up Window > Include Inactive > Select Product Class > right click on grid > Send to Excel. This Excel sheet can be used to update the products to utilize a different Product Class. Once the class isn’t in use, you can delete it by following these steps:
- File > Configuration Management > Inventory > Product Class
- Click Edit
- Select the Product Class in question by clicking on the far left hand side
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard
- You’ll be prompted about this deletion, choose Yes to delete
- Save your changes