The following error may occur when starting Acctivate if SQL Server is configured to use Windows Authentication only:
Login failed for user ‘sa’. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
The following instructions are for SQL Server 2014, but are very similar in other versions:
- Run SQL Server Management Studio from the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 folder on the Windows Start Menu on the computer running SQL Server
- Please refer to this article if you don’t see Management Studio on your server
- Make sure the Server name is correct (ie COMPUTERNAME\ACCTIVATE)
- Select Windows Authentication from the Authentication drop-down, then click Connect to log in to SQL Server
- Right-click on the server name (ie COMPUTERNAME\ACCTIVATE) and choose Properties .
- Click Security in the list on the left
- Select SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode on the right and click OK
- Click OK to close the warning about restarting SQL Server
- Right-click on the server name (ie COMPUTERNAME\ACCTIVATE) and choose Restart and click Yes to restart SQL Server.