The following error may occur when attempting to Synchronize with QuickBooks if QuickBooks is not running:
Error while connecting to QuickBooks: Recent changes to your configuration require you (the QuickBooks Administrator) to go into the Integrated Applications preferences and re-authorize your integrated application to login automatically.
You may also receive a similar error if any of the permissions or settings for selected synchronization user have changed in any way:
Error while connecting to QuickBooks.
Could not start QuickBooks.
You may also receive the following message if there has been a change to the password of the QuickBooks user that is used to sync when QuickBooks is closed or there has been other QuickBooks configuration changes:
Error while connecting to QuickBooks
This application is unable to log into this QuickBooks company data file automatically. The QuickBooks administrator must grant permission for an automatic login through the Integrated Application preferences. If such permission was already granted, the administrator must revoke permission, save preferences, then grant the permission again.
If you received the second error above and have trouble with the below instructions, you can also reset the link between QuickBooks and Acctivate.
To resolve these issues you will need to reset the log in option in QuickBooks Preferences:
- Log in to QuickBooks as Admin
- Switch to Single-User mode from the File menu
- Open Preferences from the Edit menu
- Select Integrated Applications in the list on the left
- Select the Company Preferences tab
- Select Acctivate in the list and click Properties
- Remove Acctivate from the Application Name list
- Close the Preferences menu in QuickBooks, but keep QuickBooks open
- Go back to Acctivate and run a Synchronization with QuickBooks
- You will now be prompted by QuickBooks to allow access
- There are 3 options to choose from in this prompt:
- Yes, prompt each time
This will force QuickBooks to prompt for a login each time a synchronization is processed.
- Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open
This will allow QuickBooks to synchronize transactions based on the permission level of the user who is logged in while the synchronization process is running. Acctivate will not be able to synchronize with QuickBooks closed.
- Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running
This option allows Acctivate to synchronize with QuickBooks even if it is not open. Acctivate will use the level of permissions assigned to the user selected below this prompt. When you select this, another window will appear asking if you are sure you want to give access even when QuickBooks isn’t running. Choose Yes.
- Yes, prompt each time
- After choosing the proper permission levels, select the Full Access user to sync as and check the box to Allow this application to access personal data such as Social Security Numbers and customer credit card information.
- Select Continue
- The synchronization will now complete
- If you chose the option to allow access while QuickBooks is closed, close QuickBooks and run another Synchronize with QuickBooks in Acctivate.