The Special Order Purchasing Wizard allows products to be designated as special order items and consolidates multiple scheduled sales orders with special order items for multiple customers into a single purchase order for each vendor. This then allows the special order products to be received into a warehouse for isolation and shipped out of that warehouse.
Define a warehouse for special order items
Create a warehouse
Special orders can be shipped to a designated warehouse and received into that warehouse, in order to isolate these items from other inventory. To do this an additional warehouse must be defined in the system first.
- Select File > Configuration Management > Inventory folder > Warehouse to open the Warehouse Information configuration option.
- Click the New button to create a new warehouse.
- Enter all the necessary information into the provided fields on the right side. Make sure to give the new warehouse a unique ID in the Warehouse field and name to easily identify it as a warehouse for special order items. The Description field can also be used to identify it as such a warehouse, by entering a short description of its use.
- In the Address field, enter the address of the warehouse where you will receive the special order products.
- Make sure the Active box near the top is checked in order to use the warehouse.
- Click Save. The new warehouse should now appear in the Warehouse selection box, near the left among your other warehouses.
Set warehouse as default for special orders
In order to have the appropriate warehouse selected throughout the special order purchasing process, the new warehouse can be set as a default when designating special order items.
- Remain in the Configuration Manager. Select the Customer folder > Branch to open the Branch Information configuration option.
- Select the appropriate branch from the Branch selection box (the list of branches on the left).
- In the Branch Defaults section > Default Warehouse for Special Orders drop-down menu, select the warehouse created in steps 1-6 above.
- Click Save.
Designate special order items
Inventoried items can either be set as Special order only or on sales orders using a special order line type.
Define a specific product as special order
If there is a product that will always be for special order it can be designated as such in the Product Information window.
- Select Inventory > Product Information.
- Create a new product or open an existing one.
- To define the product as special order select Special Order Item from the Item Type drop-down menu.
- Select the Inventory tab and click the Add Warehouse button to add the warehouse setup previously.
- Click Save.
Entering a sales order for special orders
- Select Sales > Sales Order and create a new sales order.
- Select the Detail tab to enter the products.
- If the special order item is not defined as such in the Product Information window (as described above) click inside the Type field first. Click the drop-down arrow that appears and select S – Special Order.If the product is defined as Special Order then just enter the product and the Sline type will automatically appear.If a warehouse for special orders is set as a default (refer to steps 7-10 above), the W/H field will default to that warehouse. If not, select the appropriate warehouse.
- Click Save.
Create purchase orders for all special orders items per vendor
- Click Purchasing > Special Order Wizard.Note:Product lines from all scheduled sales orders marked as special order will display in this wizard. If a purchase order has already been created for a product line, then it will not be shown.
- The wizard will predict the preferred vendor, price and required date for each product line designated to a special order, however in Edit mode you can override that information.
- Make sure all the products that you want to create purchase orders for have a checked box to the left. When in Edit mode, the Select All checkbox near the top, selects all displayed products and if any need to be deselected that can be done manually.
- Click Save when you are done making changes and click the Create POs button. It will confirm the number of POs created. The created purchase orders will now exist as Issued purchase orders.
Printing / emailing purchase orders to your vendor
The purchase orders can be printed or emailed to your vendor individually or all at once.
To print or email a single PO:
Open the existing purchase order (Purchasing > Standard Purchase Order) and click the drop-down arrow next to the Print Purchase Order button. This will give you the option to either print or email the purchase order.
To batch print multiple POs:
Use the Print Issued Purchase Orders window that can be accessed from the Purchasing menu, to batch print and/or preview all purchase orders created. Filter the type to include Special Order Purchase Orders.
- When the shipment is received, it will be received into the warehouse designated on the PO (typically the special order warehouse).
- Process the sales order for the special order and create the invoice to remove the stock from the special order inventory.