Once integrated with QuickBooks, Acctivate takes responsibility for all inventory transactions. This means item creation, purchasing, receiving, counting, selling, etc. During the create company process all active items (ask your Project Director for options) are copied into Acctivate and deactivated in QuickBooks. From this point forward, any transaction affecting your inventory must be handled in Acctivate to ensure Acctivate and QuickBooks are kept in balance.
If you are new to QuickBooks, you’ll need to import the item directly into Acctivate. For information on available fields for importing items, check out our Import Products reference guide. Some of our customers like to import products on their own. For step by step instructions, check out our import new or update existing products from a file article. Feel free to reach out to your Project Director to assist with any item imports or example import files for your review.
The following steps will give you a good idea of the basic product information in order to get started on the next step of training. We feel beginning with the items is the best practice since it’s the key to understanding Acctivate.
Checklist for Products
- Take a look at the Product portion of the Tour Guide
- Watch the Product Information training video. It is recommended you watch this with Acctivate open. This way you can pause and see how the information looks in your Model company.
- Create a new product
- Copy an existing product
- Add a warehouse to either a new item or an existing item. The steps are outlined in the article linked in 3.1 above.
- If you have bin locations, enable them in Configuration Management and select one on an item. See the Configure Locations section of this page.
- Set the reorder and stock levels for a warehouse. See the Management Tab section of this article for screen shot and detailed information.
- Add a vendor to a product, as well as setting the vendor price
- Set the list price
- Setup price codes in configuration management
- Add price codes to item based on product specific or product price categories
- Run Inventory Reports to see which ones make sense for your business and what information is populated
After going over these basic steps, check out the Learn Inventory page, as well as any of the Product articles posted on the site. Our search tool is also a great way to research the exact process you’re looking for past the basics.