Now that you have taken a look at how customers are managed, let’s move through another important step in running a business. Entering orders from your customers. Acctivate helps you control your order entry process through one Sales Order entry window. Open the Sales Order window in one of two ways:
The Sales Order window automatically opens a blank order entry form. From here you can enter a new order or lookup an existing one. This window is also segmented into a series of tabs. As you can see, Acctivate has been designed throughout to provide you with an easy-to-use interface that is both functional and efficient.
Using the Sales Order Window
The following steps will lead you through the entry of a new sales order:
- Click on the New button from the Sales Order window’s toolbar. Take note that the cursor will automatically move to the Cust Name field.
- Next, select a customer for this order. Let’s choose Abercrombie and Smith.
- Click the Lookup button to open the Find Customer Lookup window. You can type any letters in the customer’s name to quickly find them (e.g., Abercrombie).
- As you type each successive letter, the system is searching multiple fields (such as Name, Company, Address, etc) and the best match is displayed at the top of the list.
- Simply press Enter on your keyboard, double-click the row in the list, or click the Select button to select that customer. The order window will be filled with the information from Abercrombie and Smith.
- Next, press the Tab key several times to move to the PO field or click in the PO field with your mouse and type 3856 as the purchase order number.
- Take a look at the customer information. Notice that the blanks have been filled with data for this customer. Any header information in this window can be changed.
- Now, let’s begin entering products into the order. You may enter any number of products on an individual order, from the Detail tab.
- Let’s enter the first product to be shipped from inventory. For learning purposes, let’s imagine that we know the product ID number and don’t have to look it up.
- Click in the Product ID column field, type BB86 and press the Tab key. An order line for Black Plastic Folder will be created.
- The default Ordered quantity will be 1, which can easily be changed, but let’s leave it as is. Next to this field in the U/M column field is the unit of measure by which the product will be sold. It is set as Cs (Case). The provided drop-down includes any related units that have been configured and linked to the case unit. The unit can be changed to one of these, but let’s leave as-is.
- Now, let’s set pricing for this product. On the same row, click in the Pr Cd (Price Code) cell and click the browse button to view the available prices for this product.
- You will notice that there is a Dealer, Distributor and High volume price. Select the Dealer price for $14.50 and then click the Select button or press the Enter key.
- Pricing can be by an alternate unit other than by the unit it’s sold. Notice the U/M column field, next to Price is set to Ea (Each) for the Dealer price code, just selected. So, for this sales order one case will be sold, which is priced by the each. The Pr Qty field shows 10. This is showing that the price quantity is 10 eaches and equivalent to 1 case that is going to be sold.
- Let’s add some #10 envelopes to this order. Click in the product ID field and click on the button that appears.
- Change the Product Class filter (bottom-right) on the Choose Product window from All to Supplies (last in the list).
- Now, we are only seeing products in the Supplies category. You can scroll down to look for #10 Envelopes (Product ID: E10) or simply type “#10” in the search box at the top of the window to quickly filter the list.
- A product note will pop up, reminding you to ask if they need copy paper. Click the Close button or press ESC on your keyboard.
- If you are not certain that there are enough envelopes in stock, you can quickly lookup the inventory totals in each warehouse. Click in the W/H column, then click on the drop-down button that appears.
- A list of all warehouses that stock envelopes will appear showing the quantities on hand, available, scheduled, back-ordered (B/O), required, reserved and on order. Select the D warehouse.
- Now click in the Ordered column, enter 450 and press the Tab key. There are not enough units of envelopes available in warehouse D. Acctivate automatically configures the correct amount to ship (in the Sched field) and backorders (in the B/O field) the rest of the order.
- This customer is over their credit limit, so this order cannot be invoiced. A user with appropriate permission can override this. Go to the Customer tab and click the red Over Limit button (or anywhere in the green outlined area). From the popup window, select SYS from the Released by drop-down and click the Release button.
- Click Save from the toolbar.
- Click the Create Invoice button to record the shipment of this order and to create an invoice in the QuickBooks Accounts Receivable.
- The Invoice Order window will appear allowing you to record a variety of information. When the appropriate entries have been made, click on the Invoice button.
- Close the Sales Order window.